Monday, April 9, 2012

On Easter Sunday, one of the family's close friends rented a big van for everyone to go up and visit my grandma for the day. I didn't go because I had to pick up my brother and mom from BWI Airport (they were coming home from my mom's parents' house in Michigan). But I don't think any of my other cousins went either. They also didn't take my grandpa because my grandma has been getting angry at him whenever he visits. So one of his friends from church took him out to visit my grandpa's brother and to see some of his family, which is something he's really been wanting to do for a while now. So it sounded like he had a good Easter.

While my grandpa was out with his friend, my dad, Tommy (the family friend), my uncles and my aunts all went up to visit my grandma in Baltimore. My Dad said once my grandma saw them all she started shaking from the shock of then being there and didn't look so good. But after she rested a bit and the nurses calmed her down she was at least a little happy to see them. She was in a lot of pain, my family was told, I'm guessing due to her arthritis. I thought it was a really nice thing for them to do as siblings (and friends). Maybe by all of them being there and everyone saying how much they love her and miss her and by showering her with hugs and kisses, it might improve her attitude towards the family. But as optimistic as I want to be through this process, I've learned that this sickness has made my grandma incredibly unpredictable so one can only hope.

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful that your family came together to be with your grandma (and do something great for your grandpa) this Easter.

    The toll on family members dealing with illness just cannot be imagined, but I think your blog helps us "see" this. So this got me thinking: have you found your community of bloggers? See Jessica's post in which she compares her blog to others in her community; it made for great reading and would be a good exercise for you, too, showing us that you can find support in an online community who deals with family illness and support.

    ReplyDelete