Monday, March 19, 2012

My Aunt Lorri's weekend was this past one and she claimed it'd be too much to take care of her parents with my Grandma's episodes, so she made a call to get some help. Bee, the night nurse that quit (because my grandma tried to hit her a few times and accused her of sleeping with my grandpa), came back last weekend to care for my Grandparents. And an even bigger suprise: my grandmother was thrilled to see her.

The whole weekend, Bee had no problem with her. My grandma talked to her and was polite and everything. She ate her meals (she's been alot eating less) and took her medicine (she's also been protesting). I don't know if Bee is coming back for good, or what but it's kind of nice to hear something somewhat positive, even if it is just for a weekend.

With all the bad things going on with my grandma, it almost seems like my grandpa has been getting better in comparison. He really does remember alot when you speak to him. He can recall stories from a young age, stories about his mom and brothers, about his children and so much more. He just forgets small details like age, names sometimes slip, and if he's somewhere new, he asks if you know the way home. But the other things he does like miss the toilet and become weaker and things like that are mostly just the toll of old age.

Maybe it's just because my grandma has been spiraling so hard,that makes him seem fine; but as weird as it sounds, it's a little comforting to know he's been okay and doing well. It sucks enough to have to see and hear a grandparent become really sick like my grandma has and I know no matter how angry she gets at random, she's glad he's there. Through her struggles, he's become stronger. During her fits and rages, he's calm and composed. And while she's in tears he's the first one there trying to comfort her. At night when she goes to sleep, he turns on a night light so she can see while going to the bathroom and is always asking everyone around if she's okay.

I'm thankful that my grandpa is holding it together for everyone, by being as healthy as he can be and even throwing in some humor while he's at it. It's a bit of a stress reliever that for now, we just have to focus on one grandparent and if we can get her to cooperate, then we'll be closer to helping them find stability and happiness again.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't it make you wonder that, even through dementia, some people can "sense" that it's the time to do everything in their power to stay on an even keel? Maybe your grandfather sensed that he had to hold it together. I often wonder about the bonds between couples who have been together this long. Maybe he just sensed something?

    A few questions: why did Bee quit? Was your aunt signalling that it was time to change the current arrangement?

    ReplyDelete